February 7, 2011

Menu Plan Monday

I'll admit it. Mr. DIO was out of town, which means I've been eating whatever I want. I haven't menu planned. I've just followed my whims. This has ranged from mussels and french fries to a Jello Snack Pack. And after Sunday's Super Bowl feast, expect to see a whole lotta lettuce in next week's plan. Don't judge.


Monday: Moules et Frites
Adapted this Smitten Kitchen recipe for the mussels and bought frozen crinkle cut fries for the frites. Completely indulgent and fanciful. I thoroughly enjoyed this with a glass of sauvignon blanc and a Pretty Little Liars DVR marathon.

Images found here and here.



 Tuesday: The Aforementioned Jello Snack Pack



Wednesday: Dinner out with friends



Thursday: Popcorn

In fairness, I was putting together a popcorn bar for my boss' baby shower and felt experimentation would lead to a successful buffet. I was right. 



Friday: Braised Beef Bones & Egg Noodles

The boy came back, so I figured I may as well give him a home cooked meal. This one is my mother's recipe, so there's no measurements a.k.a a sure fire way for me to screw up, but he loved it regardless (and had the decency not to tell me he prefers my mom's). 

1 pack of short ribs
horseradish
sour cream
beef broth
chopped onion
salt 
pepper
egg noodles


Pour enough beef broth into a Crockpot to cover your ribs.Thicken with sour cream and horseradish (I'm not a big fan of the stuff, so I try to use sparingly. If you're like me a little cornstarch goes a long way). Throw in the onion. Sprinkle the ribs with salt and pepper, braise on all sides. Throw them in the Crockpot too. Cook on low for 9 hours. You could probably add in the noodles as well but I wasn't home and was too chicken to try, so I par boiled them first and mixed in for the last 30 minutes. Served with a salad.



Saturday: Wings & Beer at Buffalo Wing Factory

It was a friend's birthday. Although, as made apparent by previous menu posts, sometimes you just have to. 



Sunday: Go Green Bay Glutton-fest

I'm trying to make myself feel better with a theme. It was the Super Bowl. There were friends. We had everything from pepperoni pizza, french fries, steaks, buffalo wings, shrimp cocktail, chips, dip, beer...and i had all of it. I know, I know. 


Diet starts...tomorrow.  

No comments: